On this page
- Meet Your Teachers
- Why students love the ABQ class experience
- Find a class and register
- How to prepare for class
- Class policies & cancellation
Meet Your Teachers
Quilts & Home Decor
If sewing, serging, or quilting are your thing, you’ll find a friend in Kelley, and with her passion for teaching and her warm smile, you’ll feel right at home with her. More about quilting classes with Kelley
Clothing & Apparel
After years of running a custom sewing and alterations business, Irene began to teach sewing in 2006. Irene loves to impart her knowledge and to see her students progress in their skills. It’s all a matter of having them understand what to do and practice, practice, practice.
Why students love ABQ sewing classes
Looking for an exceptional sewing and quilting class experience? Look no further than ABQ Sewing Studio in Strathroy near London, Ontario! Our students rave about our top-notch teaching quality, comfortable and clean facilities, and welcoming community.
Here’s Lennie (left) with teacher Kelley Richardson (right). Lennie is a brand new regular here, and she raves about the exciting and supportive atmosphere. Lennie is shown making one of Brenda’s Bags, the Sewing Machine Tote.
Henrietta, who has taken numerous sewing classes with us, highlights the focused and efficient nature of our classes and workshops. Our teachers are skilled at working with students at different stages of a project, ensuring that everyone stays engaged and productive. Plus, even kids like Henrietta’s granddaughter Kaylie love coming here to make their own creations!
Our sewing classes, workshops and demo days are very popular, with Kelley expertly managing the chaos of students working on different projects or showing a technique to a group. Plus, everything you need for your project is available on-site, making it easy to jump right in. Here is Kelley instructing on the use of sergers at a serger Demo Day.
Gail is just one of many students who appreciates the high-quality teaching and the opportunity to socialize with others who share her passion for sewing.
Demo days like the one for sergers shown above are even more enjoyable when you get a chance to meet others over a cuppa and some tasty treats.
You’ll enjoy our facilities, from the super clean bathrooms to the fully equipped kitchen.
And Brenda, the friendly and accommodating owner, always goes the extra mile to ensure everyone feels at home.
Here’s Brenda with Henrietta and Carol after they made their own Homeward Bound Bags.
At ABQ Sewing Studio, we believe that sewing and quilting should be fun, social, and rewarding. Come join our community today and discover the joy of creating something beautiful with your own two hands.
1. Find a class
2. Register and pay for a class
To register for a quilting or sewing class, fill out the class registration form and return it to ABQ Sewing Studio or contact us by telephone with the information. Contact information is on the form.
You may pay for live classes at our online store. Please note that these classes are NOT taught online. They are in-person classes held at ABQ Sewing Studio in Strathroy, Ontario at 15 Centre St. W.
How to prepare for class
Some of you have taken many classes, so you know what to expect. However, even if you’ve been sewing for years, if you’ve never taken a group class before, you may be wondering about some of the details.
What to bring
Bring your machine and a few basic supplies. If you are not fully familiar with your machine, bring along the manual too.
Basic sewing supplies
- rotary cutter and rulers
- cutting mat
- seam ripper
- marking tools
Check the class listing to see if there are additional supplies needed.
Some classes require a bit of homework so we can dive right in when you get here. You’ll also find this in the class description.
If you don’t have what you need in your stash, come in a few days before to select fabric and notions. That way, you’ll have time to prepare your fabric before the day of the class.
The day of the class
Come at least fifteen minutes before class is scheduled to start so you can get set up.
ABQ Sewing Studio Class Policies
Please read and understand the following before registering for a class – thanks!
- Class fees must be paid in full at the time of registration to reserve your spot. Space is reserved on first-come first-serve basis.
- Supply lists are available online for the classes. Go to shop.amongbrendasquilts.com and search for your class under Sewing Classes at ABQ under the More for you menu. Most classes also have sample quilts, bags or garments displayed in the shop.
- Class fees are for instruction only and do not include materials for the class, unless otherwise stated.
- Most classes have a pattern, book, or specialized tool requirement. These will be noted on the supply list. Each student must have a LEGAL copy of the pattern or book.
- Some courses are all inclusive (e.g., class materials are bundled in the price). If you already possess some or all of the required materials, a store credit/gift certificate will be issued.
- Students are required to bring; 1) a sewing machine in good working order, 2) machine accessories, & 3) basic sewing supplies to each class; unless otherwise stated. You should be familiar with the operation of your machine before class, please bring your manual if in doubt.
- We are more than happy to help you in your selection of class materials, but please do so prior to class.
- Some classes require a small amount of homework prior to the class. Please arrive prepared so that you can start on the fun part right away!
- Class will start on time, so please arrive at least 15 minutes early and be set up and ready to go.
- If you bring your cell phone to class please be considerate of others and put it on vibrate/silent prior to class. Please refrain from wearing perfumes, as some people have allergic reactions to scents. Also, if you bring a drink, please use a container with a lid.
- If there is nothing scheduled in our classroom after your class ends, please feel free to stay and use the space to continue working on your project until the shop closes.
- Please refrain from using perfumed products the day of class.
- Most classes have a minimum enrolment (usually 3 students). If the class is cancelled due to low enrolment, you will be notified and all course fees will be returned in full (your choice of a refund or store credit).
- If you can’t attend a course, please cancel at least one week in advance. A store credit will be issued ONLY if you cancel at least seven (7) days before the course. Cancellations within a week of the course will NOT receive a store credit, though you may send a friend in your place.
- Workshops and other classes may be partially or fully non-refundable and/or require much more notice of cancellation before a credit is issued.
Please verify that any class you wish to enrol in meets your schedule and that you’re OK with the cancellation policy before enrolling.